Dual Degree/ Dual PhD
Dual PhD, Doctor of Philosophy,
Institute for Research in Molecular Medicine (INFORMM) Universiti Sains Malaysia and
Faculty of Health Sciences, Curtin University, Western Australia.
The programme will provide candidates with the skills to carry out high quality research of international standard at two well recognised universities. The research project undertaken will be a collaborative effort under the supervision of two supervisors, one in each university. The highest standards of ethics and humanity will be incorporated throughout the research project.
Curtin University will sponsor a stipend and the use of research facilities during the study period there, the minimum period being 12 months.
A successful graduate will receive two testamurs, from USM and Curtin University.
The programme is carried out entirely by research, under the supervision of two supervisors, one in each university.
Students can directly contact INFORMM lecturers on research projects available.
For expertise at INFORMM please visit http://www.informm.usm.my/
A candidate must meet the admission requirements of both institutions.
- A Master’s or Bachelor’s (First Class Honours or CGPA >3.67/4) degree in a related area.
(Applicable for International Applicants Only)
- A minimum score of 550 (Paper-based) in TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language); or
- A minimum score of 213 (Computer-based) in TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language); or
- A minimum score of 80 (Internet-based) in TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- A minimum score of 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- Results must be attached with the application form.
For entry requirements at USM, please visit the Institute of Post Graduate Studies website at http://www.ips.usm.my/
International applicants must satisfy the enrolment requirements. After confirmation of enrolment, the student has to obtain a visa for entry into Australia.
A stipend will be offered while the student is studying at Curtin University.
International studentswill be required to have reached an appropriate level of proficiency in English to complete your research. Applicants from non-English speaking backgrounds must either provide evidence of previous tertiary studies conducted in English, or have received test scores on the listed tests in excess of the minimum standards outlined in the International Office’s English Entry Requirements.
Please note, at the discretion of the Head of Enrolling Area, you may be required to complete a bridging course in English as a condition of enrolment.
For any other enquiries related to postgraduate study, international applicants are encouraged to contact the International Office.
For details on entry requirements for international students at Curtin University, please visit http://futurestudents.curtin.edu.au/research/application/curtin-international/
- Full-time: Min 4 semesters / Max 10 semesters
- Part-time: Min 6 semesters / Max 15 semesters
|Malaysian Applicants||International Applicants:|
Registration fee : RM340.00
Tuition fee : RM4, 200.00/semester (Full time)
Tuition fee : RM3, 585.00/semester (Part time)
Masters : RM750.00
PhD : RM1, 000.00
Registration fee : USD227.5
Tuition fee : USD1575/semester (Full time)
Tuition fee : USD1425/semester (Part time)
Personal Bond : USD475 (reimbursable)
Masters : USD250
PhD : USD375
PHYSICS: International Dual Degree Programme
Master of Engineering in Electrical and Microsystems Engineering and Master of Science in Solid State Physics
The International Master Dual Degree Programme places a strong focus on electronics and semiconductor technology. It provides a solid theoretical background as well as a minimum of 6 months internship in one of our international partner companies (e.g. Osram, Infineon Technologies, Continental Automotive Corporation) in Malaysia or Germany. In addition, it offers you the opportunity to obtain a Master degree from Malaysia (USM Penang) in combination with an accredited European Master degree (M. Eng. in Electrical and Microsystems Engineering) from OTH (Eastern Bavarian University), Regensburg, Germany simultaneously. The course is structured to enable students to work independently, efficiently and responsibly using scientific methods and problem solving techniques. Aside from conveying technical expertise, the course is designed to build personalities and leadership knowledge and skills. Graduates will be equally proficient in performing technical tasks and leadership roles.
Lectures in Malaysia or Germany:
Min: 24 months (4 semesters) / Max: 60 months (10 semesters)
Master’s research/thesis in Malaysia or Germany (usually in a company):
Min: 6 months (1 semester)
The programme consists of 40 units in USM and 54 Credit Points in OTH of the following schedule:
1st Semester in USM (20 units)
- ZCC 541/4 - Solid State Physics Theory (Core - 4 units)
- ZCC 542/4 - Physics of Complementary Materials (Core - 4 units)
- ZCC 543/4 - Semiconductor Physics (Core - 4 units)
- ZSC 548/4 -X-ray Structure (Elective - 4 units)
- ZCC 591/4 -Measurements & Experimental Techniques 1 (Core - 4 units)
2nd Semester in OTH (29 credit points)
- Mathematics for Master (Core – 8 CP)
- Technical Optics – Micro-optics (TOM) (Core – 5 CP)
- Electronic Product Engineering (Elective – 5 CP)
- Master Optoelectronic Project in Labview (Elective – 5 CP)
- Project Thesis (Core – 6 CP)
3rd Semester in OTH (25 credit points)
- Optoelectronics (Core – 8 CP)
- Laser Technology and Photonics (Core – 5 CP)
- Laser Materials Processing or Cybernetics (Elective – 5 CP)
- German Language (Core – 7 CP)
4th Semester in USM (20 units)
- ZCC 590 – Solid State Physics Dissertation (Core – 20 units)
List of Expertise in School of Physics
Applicants should possess the following:
- BSc (Hons) in Physics, BApplied Sc (Hons) in Applied Physics, BApplied Sc (Hons) in Engineering Physics with minimum CGPA of 3.00/4.00 or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area or equivalent with several years of experience in a relevant field.
- A minimum score of 550 in Paper- Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or
- A minimum score of 213 in Computer- Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or
- A minimum score of 80 in Internet- Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or
- A minimum score of Band 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- The applicants native language is English or National language
- Applicant graduated from institutions of higher learning which use English Language as the medium of instruction.
- International students are required to take the Bahasa Malaysia (LKM 100) course and must be taken and passed prior to graduation. The requirement pass grade is C. Registration for this course can be made at the School of Languages, Literacies and Translation at the university within the candidature period.
- Full-time: Min 4 semesters / Max 10 semesters
Registration fees : RM 340.00
Tuition fees (per unit) : RM 265.00 X 40 units = RM 10940.00
Registration fees : USD227.50
Personal Bond : USD475
Tuition fees (per unit) : USD100.00 X 40 units = USD4702.50
Tuition fees for graduate studies in Germany are fully sponsored by the university (OTH). However, there will be an administration fee imposed by the university of approximately €150-300.